Tuesday 5 June 2012

I miss my old life.



My gorgeous little family and I have just spent over a week on holidays in the Noosa sun. It was such a pity the glorious sun was shrouded by heavy black clouds determined to lash their fat raindrops upon us.

It was an unbeatable location. A wonderful two bedroom apartment directly in front of the beach, a short walk to the natural wonders of the National Park and a leisurely stroll past fine restaurants offering cuisines from around the world.

It’s such a shame we didn’t get to experience it all.

The rain bound us to our apartment for too many hours and with a sixteen-month old son, five books, seven matchbox cars and a Bananas in Pyjamas DVD, we were climbing the walls from day two.

On a rare solitary walk during a break in the rain, I got to thinking about life before kids. How would my husband and I have passed a rain soaked holiday on our own? We would have lazed about on the couch watching movies, relaxed in bed reading the latest book, and let’s face it, we would have lain in bed doing more exciting things than just reading.

But with a toddler wanting to be entertained from morning till night, it’s impossible to do those things that two or three years ago we would have gladly welcomed.

I would not give up this current chapter of my life for anything, but I have to say, I do really miss my old life sometimes. The ability to go and do whatever you please, whenever you please was really not appreciated enough in my days before Max. 

Now I covet those rare opportunities when a demanding toddler isn’t dictating what I do for most of my waking hours.

For now, I keep telling myself that it’s OK to miss my old life. Do you?


4 comments:

  1. yeah I miss my old life.. staying up late playin computer games, staying up late out drinkin.. But I look forward to when I get to all that fun stuff when the wee lad grows older :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you staying up late playing computer games now?
      Seriously, it sounds like the older they get the easier it becomes. I don't want him to grow up too fast but I'm looking forward to some more me time than I get now!
      Hope your little man is great.

      Delete
  2. I really did when my girls were younger. What I found hardest was as you say, not being able to just go somewhere or do something whenever I wanted; having to plan it all and any precious time out being so short!!
    But fear not, it really DOES get easier as they get older. I know it seems like ages away now, but once they hit three, then four, then five, then older, you get more and more of that freedom back. (Then you start not to want it!). My girls are six and a half now and most of those feelings are a memory to me now. MOST of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie that's so great to hear you say that! I don't want my little man to grow up too fast but I'll make sure I make the most of it now.
      I hope you're enjoying your ME time!

      Delete