Tuesday 26 June 2012

Career woman. One step forward, two steps back?


The other night I watched Working Girl on TV, the 1988 movie about a secretary who uses the absence of her female boss to put forward her own ideas and in the process realise her own career aspirations. 





This movie came with all the dazzling glitz and glamour of 1988. Big hair, big shoulder pads and make up that would be the envy of a circus clown.

It was a wonderful reminder to me that as a woman, I can do anything. I loved my career. I believe I was great at what I did. I did it with integrity and passion. It didn’t matter that I was a woman. I did the best job that any PERSON could do.

Then I came across this book at the library.





I’m sorry, but can someone please explain to me, why does a woman need a book on computing skills that a man doesn’t need to learn as well? Don’t men need to use computers in the workplace too?

I thought we had come so far in terms of breaking through the glass ceiling of women in corporate roles, but stumbling across this book made my blood boil!

Then, on second glance, perhaps the choice of hair accessory, the popular 80’s scrunchie, is a giveaway to the age of this book. Perhaps the library are the one’s who need to update their books!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    I've nominated you for a Liebster blog award. Here's the link to my post on it: http://francescawriteshere.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/liebster-liebster.html
    xx

    ReplyDelete