Saturday 3 March 2012

You are not your job

Before I was a mum, I LOVED my job. I lived it, I breathed it, I fed it and I watched it grow. When I went out with friends I could literally feel my face light up when they asked how my job was going. I would spend hours regaling them with stories about how fantastic my job was and how great I seemed to be at it.


With the gorgeous Naz opening the new Broadway Mimco store.

Then I quit my job to become a full time mum. Now, when I meet people and they ask me what I do for a living, I tell them, I’m a mum. Before too long they’ve usually switched off and have started a conversation with someone else. Sound familiar? I’ve struggled since the birth of my son thirteen months ago with the fact that I no longer help to provide financially for our family. It also gets me down sometimes that I’m “just a mum”.

I’ve only recently changed my mind set about my new job. I no longer believe that it consists of changing nappies, cleaning the house, shopping for groceries and cooking for the family. No, my job is so much more important than that.

My job is to provide a first class education for my toddler to prepare him for his first school years. I set budgets and I research to find the best quality products. I am a mind reader. I plan nutritious, interesting meals that are ready before my family realizes they are hungry. I am an active listener and counselor. I listen to my husband’s frustrations about work and I bring to the table possible solutions. I excel in conflict resolution. I'm an OH&S officer, identifying potential hazards before they arise. My list could go on…


With my beautiful boy Max, aged 8 months

It is a common misnomer among women, myself included, that because we no longer help to contribute financially to the household, that we are not contributing very much. This is untrue. We are contributing so much more!

So the next time someone asks you what you do for a living, just stick out your chin, and grin, and say…..

“I’m a Super Mum. And a great one at that!”

You Are Not Your Job. You are so much more. 
Don't lose sight of that.




(By the way, I think working mums are extraordinarily amazing!")

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:27 pm

    Love it Mel! A rather timely reminder about this! I also wholeheartedly believe that when your husband also believes your "job" is working at home - literally with the list and more you mentioned above, he can validate, affirm adn love you. Will be reading you blog, Your doing an amazing job! Philipa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pip for your awesome message! I really appreciate the support! It's a tough job but so rewarding isn't it? I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

      Delete
  2. Belinda4:25 pm

    Love this Melissa. I've also left the paid employment ranks and stepped from the career ladder to take on the very important job of raising Isabelle and have had similar experiences and feelings you've write of. Great message, and we will see both you and Max next term at musikidabra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda! Thanks so much for your message. It's tough isn't it? You want to be a great mum but feel a little guilty of missing the job that made you feel so confident and important. It's a real shift. Yes we'll see you in a few weeks!

      Delete
  3. When pregnant with our firstborn I told my DH "This kid is going into daycare at 6 weeks, I need to be back at work asap." Total corporate slave.

    I was an independent contractor/troubleshooter in finance.

    When he asked me "So, when are you going back to work?" as our firstborn son turned 8 weeks old my head spun 360 degrees as I snarled "Never!"

    Corporate ambition replaced totally by besotted mother love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that! After my mini-meltdown whilst pregnant about losing my identity, I proclaimed that day care would be the way to go as my career meant so much to me.
      As soon as I held my son in my arms, I forgot all about my career.
      Thanks so much for your message. It means so much that you took the time to comment.

      Delete